PeopleSoft DBA Interview Questions – Part2
Note: Some of the information related to setup and installation may no longer be valid due to ever changing Operating Systems and application versions/architecture. If you have any specific doubts, please post it in the comment section.
1) What are the PSDBA responsibilities?
Installation of PeopleSoft, upgrades, administration, applying tools& Application patches,fixes &service packs, refreshes of database ,supports PS migrations,Oracle installation& upgrades, creating and troubleshooting of process scheduler, clearing of cache,tax upgrades, backup & restore of database.
2) What different segments of PeopleSoft you ever worked with?
I worked with CRM, EPM, HRMS, FINANCIAL
|Financial||8.88.4,8.9,9.0,9.1,9.2||8.4x, 8.5x||Oracle , DB2|
|HRMS||8.88.4,8.9,9.0,9.1,9.2||8.4x, 8.5x||Oracle , DB2|
3) What different versions of PeopleSoft you worked with?
People Tools Versions like: 7.5, 8.x, 8.3, 8.4, 8.5
4) What are the different instances? How many productions and non-productions Instances you have?
Demo, Development, Test, Production
Number of Production = 1
Number of Non-Production = more than 20
5) What OS you are using for PeopleSoft?
Sun Solaris, HP Unix, IBM AIX, Windows NT
6) How many users in the project? How may users hits the site?
2000 and above
7) How did you configure your Instance?
All our production environments are in separate machine.
1) Database Server
2) Application Server
3) Web Server
4) Windows NT Machine for File Server, and NT Process Scheduler Server
On Database Server we Install Following things
- Install Oracle Software Binary
- People Tool
- People Tool Patches
- Install shell Database
- Import Data Process Scheduler
On Application Server we Install Following things
- Oracle client
- People Tools
- People Tool Patches
On Web Server we Install Following things
- People Tools
- People Tool Patches
- Web logic or Web Sphere
On NT Machine we Install Following things
- People Tools
- People Tool Patches
- Ms office
8) What is the Size of your DataBase?
DATABASE SIZE 14GB to 21 GB (depends)
HRMS 10 GB
FINANCIAL 14GB , CRM 8GB
9) Hardware specification?
|Web Server||Sun||Sunfire 280||2* 1.24 GHZ||4GB|
|Application Server||Sun||Sunfire 480||4* 1.24 GHZ||8GB|
|DataBase Server||Sun||Sunfire 480||4* 1.24 GHZ||8GB|
|NT process Scheduler||Compaq||Sunfire 480||4* 2.0 GHZ||4GB|
Note: Above info may vary
10) What is Informatica?
11) How did you do the performance tuning of a Application Server and Web Server?
- In the case of Application Server can change configuration properties in PSAPPSRV.cfg
- Clearing the Cache. <Host_PS_Home>Appsrv/<domain_name>/cache
- Configure number of min/max instances for Application Server processes
- We can also create a new Application Server instance if required and bring up some more processes if required. ( PSQCKSRV, PSQRYSRV)
- We can configure : small, medium, large if required.
- PSAPPSRV instances can be increased
12) What are the different types of processes?
Various process types used in peoplesoft are SQR, Application Engine, Crystal, nVision, Batch Script etc. You can get a complete list of these by navigating to PeopleTools > Process Scheduler > Processes
13) How is PeopleSoft security maintained?
PeopleSoft security is managed by using Roles and Permission Lists. Roles containing premission lists are then assigned to users.
User information PSOPRDEFN
Role Definition PSROLDEFN
14) What is Tivoli Maestro?
- It is at Tool used by RMAN to send backup directly and tape device
- It is a backup software.
15) What is a Brain Tree?
- It is a security software used for access control tool.
- It has features like password control, password aging etc
- It also audits the access to Database
16) BMC Patrol?
- It is PeopleSoft Performance monitoring Tool.
- It monitors the different components of PeopleSoft like Tuxedo, OS, DataBase etc.
- It gathers the performance metrics of PeopleSoft Components
- Alerts the administrators ensure there is the performance slowdown.
17) What is I Watch?
- I Watch is a activity monitor Tool of Data base, Network, OS activity
- For abnormal performance alerting DBA of problems before end user are impacted.
- I Watch ensure DataBase connectivity and performance
- Finds problem before they become critical.
18) What is SQL LAB?
- It is a SQL Query Tuning Tool.
- This will show which part of SQL is taking time or if Tuning is required its like analyzing explain plan
19) What is SPOT LIGHT?
Data Base on line monitoring
20) What is Space Manager?
For Table/ Index is used for maintenance of Table Space.
21) What is QUEST Stat?
It is a version control software for PeopleSoft and Non PeopleSoft software.
22) What is data guard?
It is Oracle’s disaster recovery solution.
23) What is EMC SRDF?
High performance for remote replication for business connectivity CSAN Storage Hardware.
24) What is share plex?
It’s a high speed log based replication software which continuously replicates changes from a production Instance to Multiple fully accessible Target.
25) What is RMAN?
RMAN is a Oracle software used for wider variety of automated backups and recovery functions.
Oracle allows you to create and restore full backups of the following:
- Table Space
- Control Files
- Data Base
- Archive Logs
26) Data Base Refresh details as related specially to PeopleSoft Pre Refresh?
1) Saves PeopleSoft Report Nodes File attachment & EIP security Tables and other critical environment specific information on Target data base.
- Import schema_owner/ password @SID from_user = schema_owner to_user = schema_owner tables = PSURLDEFN, PSGATEWAY,PSCONN, PSCONNPROP, PSMSGNODEDEFN, PSNODETRX, PSNODECONPROP, PSNODEURITEXT, PSRELATIONSHIP, PSRELATIONTRX, PSMSGDEFN, PSMSGDEL, PSMSGNODEDEFN ignore = y file = /home/oracle/refresh_scripts/exp_ps_tpls_sid_dmp log=/home/oracle/refreh_scripts/exp_tpls_sid.log
2) PS_cdm_dest_node, psprdmcntprv, ps_serverdefn are in data mover done following. In datamover run the datamover scripts below to backup target tables used by file attachment and EIP
Set log C:\temp\EIP_TABLES_EXPORT.log;
Set output C:\temp\EIP_TABLES.dat;
Export Report Nodes from Target;
For security we have scripts in PT8.4/SCRIPTS/BSE/Security export.dms
3) Shut down the Target applications ( Unix application server, Unix process scheduler server, NT Process scheduler) the Unix web server can remain up and running.
4) Shut down the Target Database.
5) Delete the Oradata.dbf, log, .ctl, files from the Target Data base
6) Put the source data base in a Hot back up mode
Sqlplus /mode= y
Connect sys/ as sysdba;
Alter TableSpace <Tablespace_name> begin backup;
Copy ‘filename’ to destination
Compress –f filename
Alter TableSpace <Tablespace-name> end backup;
Copy init and create cibtrik file also
Alter database backup control file to trace;
7) Copy files from source to target using scp scp –p * <Servername>:/u12/app/oradata/sc03
Then enter unix password for unix oracle account then all files will be transferred.
8) Copy all archive files from begin and end backup timeframe from source to target using scp
scp –p <required files>severname:/u06/app/archive/sc03ps03/arch.
9) On target sever change name of oradata using script file to reflect target database name in the filename rather than the server name.
10) On target server change names of archieve files t reflect target database name in the filename rather then the source name.
11) Recover the target database using an incomplete cancel based recovery using the backup controlfiles.
Alter database recover automatic using backup controlfile;
Alter database open resetlogs;
12) Rename the database name
create controlfile reuse set
database target databasename ,reset logs archieve logs.
Logging the change the names of log file.
Select global_name from global_name;
13) Alter database rename global_name to target_global_name.
14) Create temporary table space.
15) On the target database change the dbname inside of the PSDBOWNER table to represent the SID of the target database.
Initially after the refresh this PSDBOWNER will be set to the dbaname of the source database and the application will not start.
16) On the target database delete the data from three tables.
Ps_serverdefn and commit.
17) Run the datamover script below against the target to restore the data you backed up.
Set log = c:\TEMP\EIP_TABALES_IMPORT.log;
Set INPUT C:\TEMP\EIP_TABLES.DAT;
Set NO SPACK;
Set NO RECORD;
Set NO INDEX;
18) Run the data mover script below against the target database to purge application message queue data.
Set log APPMSGURLALL.LOG;
Delete from PSAPMSGPUBHDR;
Delete from PSAPMSGPUBDATA;
Delete from PSAPMSGPUBCON;
Delete from PSAPMMSGPUBCON;
Delete from PSAPMSGPUBERR;
Delete from PSAPMMSGPUBERAP;
Delete from PSAPMMSGPUBCKAP;
Delete from PSAPMSGSUBCKRP;
Delete from PSAPMMSGSUBCK;
Delete from PSAPMSGARCHPH;
Delete from PSAPMSGARCHPD;
Delete from PSAPMSGARCHPC;
Delete from PSAPMSGARCHSC;
19) On the target database import the data from pre refresh target using script.
- Imp schemaowner /password@SID from user=schemaowner to user =schema ownertables = ps_cdm_dest_node,psprdcntprv ps_server design ignore = y file = /home/oracle/refresh_scripts/exp_ps_tpls_sid_dmp log=/home/oracle/refreh_scripts/exp_tpls_sid.log)
20) Clear target application and web server cache.
21) Start the PeopleSoft application (unix appserver, unix process scheduler,NT process scheduler)
22) Test to make sure you can log in to target and post report successfully.
27) What are the steps of peoplesoft installation of oracle on sun solaris 9 oracle?
Login in as root and do the following things:
- Mount the disk1 on your unix server
Enter the disk1 cd in your cd-rom and type mount to verify that it is mounted.
- Copy the oracle software from cd to hard disk for example
- The installation requires a few environment variables to be set before it starts .These variables can be set into one’s profile directory by putting the lines.
Please set these variables in /etc/profile
ORACLE_BASE = /oracle
ORACLE_SID = PSCRMDEV
PATH =$PATH :$ORACLE_HOME/bin.
Export PATH ORACLE_BASE ORACLE_HOME
- Create group dba,oinstall,oper
- Create user called oracle in which user account you will be installing the software.
Useradd –c DBA –g oinstall –G DBA –d /oracle oracle
Useradd –c ps –g oinstall –G DBA –d /ps ps
- Target server create the following two files
ui.rhosts add + open all rhosts and rusers.
- Change the group of following slices to the oracle i.e. DBA
chgrp –r DBA /oracle/psdata1/psdata2;
chgrp –r DBA /oracle/psdata1/psdata2;
- Following are lines you would add to the /etc/system file to configure the unix kernel and semaphore parameters.
Set shmsys :shminfo_shmmax=4294967295
Set shmsys :shminfo_shmmin=1
Set shmsys :shminfo_shmmni=300
Set shmsys :shminfo_shmseg=200
set shmsys :shminfo_msgseg=32767
Set shmsys :shminfo_msgmni=1024
Set shmsys :shminfo_msgmnb=131072
Set shmsys :shminfo_msgmax=131072
Set shmsys :shminfo_msgmap=131072
Set shmsys :shminfo_msgtql=131072
Set rlim_fd_cur =1024
- Restart the server to get changed into effects:init6
- Now login as oracle and start the installation process:
- It will start the installation by executing this file &answer appropriately to complete the installation in between it asks to run some scripts using root user that you can run with other telnet session.
To create oracle DB or install client on unix please following steps.
We have to follow this step this is very important.if we don’t do this all the inventory files will be written to the same directory and there is a chance for them getting over written.(entry is oralabfile,ORTP:u01/app/oracle)
1. Goto /var/opt/oracle and see if there is any file with <SID_name>inst.loc.ifnot there we have to create it.
2. To create these fies,goto /usr/local/bin and search for root* we will see a bunch of files.locate root_oui_crlocfiles and root_oui_setlocfile
3. To run these files you have to root previlages or you can sudo to root also.
4.run sudo root_oui_setlocfile<SID name>-this script will create the DB specific orainst.loc (example:sudo root_oui_crlocfiles BDOPFT1.)
5.once the above script is complete,then run the second one.run root_oui_setlocfile<SID name>-this script will setup righ ora install and inventory location(example:sudo root_oui_setlocfile BDOPFT1)
28) Installation of oracle patch on sunsolaris.188.8.131.52.0 to184.108.40.206.0?
These steps is basically used to upgrade the database from 8.1.x to220.127.116.11 for seen solaris(64 bit database)
- The x-server software (exeed ,or vnc)should be installed on your PC.(if you use VNC,VCN server software should be installed at server side &thin version clientof CNV should be at PC).
- Check whether you are able to make connection to server with VNC software.
- Set DISPLAY =ipaddresss :0.0(ipaddress is the ip of pc)
- Check xclock,xhost +commands
- Take the complete backup of the database.
- Take backup of oracle home and orainventory directories.
- Check the orainst.loc whether it is pointing the correct locations,backup the orainst.loc file.
- Download the rdbms patches if any
- Apply the patchset.
- Login to the oracle account and make server the environment is set to the correct oracle_home and oracle_SID.
- Stop listener and agent and other processes running in or against the ORACLE_HOME to be installed into.
- run $. /runinstaller.
- Select the product and click the next button.Verify the products listed and then click on the install button to finish the installation.
29) Installation of tuxedo on sun solaris 9?
- First designate an existing user or create a new user to be the tuxedo owner.
- To designate the tuxedo owner log in as root
- create the unix user name of the individual who will be the owner of tuxedo.
Useradd –d /ps PS
- create the directory structure to hold the tuxedo software:
cd ps, mkdir –p /ps/tuxedo
- change the ownerof /ps directory.
- chown –R /PS PS press enter
- The following procedure describes how to properly install tuxedo on solaris 9
- to install tuxedo on solaris9
- log in as the tuxedo administration with commands:su –ps
- change to the tuxedo software directory
- $./sh install.sh
- The tuxedo install program presents various prompts that requires the information listed below.
- Install which platform files? :sunos8(last number)
- This directory contains the BEA tuxedo care system for sunos8 is this correct?
Type y to indicate YES.
- Directories where these files are to be installed?
Enter the tuxedo home directory i.e. /ps/ps/tuxedo.
- Please enter the tlisten password enter tuxedo.
- Online documentation type y to indicate : yes.
Verify the server installtion.
- Go to the udataobj directory under /ps/ps/tuxedo/udataobj.
- Open the file lic.txt
- Search for the string “PeopleSoft Edelen build on BEA –march 21 2002”.if this string exists,you have installed the correct version of BEA/tuxedo.
30) Installation of PeopleSoft tools on sunsolaris 9?
1.To avoid swapping CD’s copy the contents of both CD’S to new directory
$mkdir –p /pt84/disk1
$mkdir –p /pt84/disk2
$mkdir –p /pt84/disk3
2.Running the people soft installer setup.solaris -is :javaconsole –console-java –cp setup for run –console.
3.Launch the installer click next when you see the welcome screen.
4.Click the radio button to accept the license agreement and click next.
5.Enter your license code for people code and click next.
6. Choose a Unicode or non unicode database and click next (in our case select nonunicode).
7. Select the servers you want to install and click next.
8. Specify the directory where you want to install people tools and click next for example :ps_home /ps/pt843.
9.You will be prompted to enter the tuxedo directory for example:/ps/tuxedo
10.specify the location of you connection program directory and click next.
11.Depending on the PeopleSoft server you will select choose whether to install the people tools icons and click next(this is for windows only)
12.If you elected to install people tool’s icons choose a valid group folder in which to create them and click next (this is for windows only)
13.The next screen list the people tools components for which you are licensed.accept the default for the people tools features and click next.
PeopleSoft Application server
PeopleSoft batch server
PeopleSoft database server
PeopleSoft web server
NOTE: Application server should be installed in application server. PeopleSoft file server should be installed in windows machine only. PeopleSoft web server should be installed in web server.
14. After the files have been installed ,click finish to complete the setup.
31) Installation of PeopleSoft CRM/SCM/FIN/HRMS on sun solaris 9?
1.Copy the CRM/SCM/FIN/HRMS software from CD to harddisk.
2.Mount the CRM/SCM/FIN/HRMS CD in your CD in your CD-ROM and type mount to verify that it is mounted.
3. su –ps,cd /psdata1/ps/psapp/crm,cp –R /cdrom/crm88ro/*.*
(give this commands).
4. Running the PeopleSoft installer $cd /psdata1/ps/psapp/crm
$setup.solaris –is :java console –console.
5. Launch the installer.click next when you see the welcome screen.
6. Click the radio button to accept the license agreement and click next.
7. Enter your license code for PeopleSoft and click next.
8. Choose a Unicode or non –unicode database and click next.
9. Select the servers you want to install and click next.
10.Specify the directory where you want to install people tools and click next for example : /ps/pt843.
11.the next screen list the components for which you are licensed.accept the default for the PT features and click next.
12.you will see an installation confirmation window is the information is correct next.if you need to change any at the information choose the back button and make your changes.
13.After the files have been installed,click finish to complete the setup.
31) How to install people tools patch pt8.44.13?
1. First check the pre request from customer connection.
2. Read the entries document and patch notes before beginning installations.
3.Download all the relevant scripts documents &patch from customer connection.
4. Backup your existing people tools 8.44 folders for all servers that were created with PT8.44.
5. Shutdown any application server web server and process scheduler &databases.
6. Make server that there are no lingering thread from any application server domain.
7. If you have any customized configuration files: psconfig.sh,psappsrv.cfg,pscbl.mak,psrun.mak
Copy them to another folder so that they are not over written during the upgrade process.
8.Stop EM agent using <PSHOME> /ps temp/stop agent.bat
9.Create an empty folder named CD84413 on your windows system.download the batch file from the FTP site into the folder and run the self extracting exe files to extract the patch files into this folder.
ftp://ftp :poeplesoft.com/outgoing /ptools84413/84413.exe
the password for 84413.exe is “for the hold.
10. For unix run setup.solaris –is :java console –console java –classpath setup.jar run –console.provide license code.
11.Database upgrade instruction :data mover scripts ,copy patch project –select tool,copy project from file.
12. Some SQL need to be runs.
13.Copy some files.
32) POEPLESOFT RELEASES
service pack for major release(application)
people tool minor changes
Updates & fixes between service packs provided with installation guides before applying updates check pre request.
Select * from psstatus(Tools release info)
Select * from psrelease(application release information)
Release date & release info.
PSLOCK: object version
1.Tax update is like any other update we download the relevant tax update from the customer connection.
2.Most of the tax updates comes with :
a)project b) batch file c) DMS d) SQL e) cobol program
and we follow the instructions as patch notes and move the files to the relavent PSHOME directory.
3.Copy the project to the database as for the instruction document most of the time it is copy from file
4.Run DMS scripts as per the instruction guide.
5.Move the cobol into PS_HOME/SRC/CBL/Base. &compile cobol pshome/cblbin.
Most of the tax update have cobol programs
33)DDD Audit: SQR to compare data structure defined in people tools tables against database to check inconsistency. It is used to report any inconsistency in the existing of table or views between the PT definition and your RDBMS.
Alter audit: is used to report difference between the people tools records defination and the RDBMS system catalog.
SYS AUDIT: identifies the orphaned PT objects and inconsistency with PT objects.
An example of an orphaned object should be a module of people code that exists but which does not related to any other object in the system.
34) Creating an oracle instance(shell database)
1.sqlplus ‘/ as sysdba’
2.Run the createdb.sql script
sqlplus>@ps_home \script\nt\createdb.sql(to create a database)
3.Create catalog views and utility tablespace
4.Create rollback segments
6.Create PeopleSoft tablespaces
7.Creating Application –specific tablespace.
8.Creating PeopleSoft database roles
9.Creating the PeopleSoft database ownerid
10.Creating connect id
11.Configure connection id.
35) Installation of web logic server on sun solaris?
1.Copy the weblogic software from CD to harddisk.
2.Mount the weblogic CD into your unix server.
3.Copy the weblogic software from CD to hard disk
cp –R /cdrom/weblogic/*.*.
4.Invoke the console –mode installation procedure as follows.
Sh weblogic610 – sol.bin(x windows)
Sh weblogic610 – sol.bin – i console( for character mode installation)
5.The tuxedo install program presents various prompts that requires th information listed below.
6./install which platform files :sunos8(last number 11)
7.enter the number associated with the language you want displayed during the installation.
Press 2 for English and press enter to continue the installation.
8.read the license agreement and press enter for yes to accept it.
9.enter /to install the program files and the example files:
server and example server only.
10.create a new BEA home,use existing BEA home,enter a new number 1
choose product directory
1.modify currect selection( /app/bea/weblogic6.1)
modify weblogic Admin Domain name ,modify server name, modify listner port,modify secure SSL & run the following commands
$ cd /weblogic/licences
$ cp * /weblogic/bea
$ cd /weblogic/bea
$chmod utx install pslisence.sh
$./install PSlicences.sh /app/bea
java –cp /weblogic/wls61sp2 –upgrade – unix.zip
install – I console.
Expand wls.61sp2 –p2
Tar –xus wls.61sp2 –p2tar
36) Configure the application server on sun solaris 9?
1.First you should installed the poeplesoft editor BEA tuxedo /jolt.
2.On sun solaris platform,the system appserv domain processes must be configured to have at least 1024 max file handles per process.if this is not done domain will not boot properly.on solaris edit /etc/system and the following lines or commands.
Set rlim_fd_cur =1024
Set rlim_fd_max =1024
Rlim_fd_cur is the soft limit and rlim_fd_max is the hard limit.
You can also set something begger than 1024 for some specific reason.
3.You need to create a link to the libclnsh.sl.8.0 under $ORACLE_HOME/lib32 make sure the link is created to the 32 bit library and 64 bit.
At the oracle_home/lib32
$in –s libclntsh.so.9.0 libclntsh.so.8.0
4.Also make sure you do not have the 64 bit library path in your LD-LIBRARY_PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH =$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$ ORACLE_HOME /lib32
5.The change will be effective after system reboot
see init 6,
6.Verify database connectivity
8.When the menu appears specify for application server and press enter.
9.Specify 2 to create a domain and press enter.
10.specify the domain name for example
please enter name of domain to create PSCRMDEV.
Domain names are case sensitive and must be eight character are less.the domain name is used to create a directory.name under the /ps/pt843/apppserver directory for example:
11.Specify 4 for small is this is your initial domain installation press enter based min & max process. (small-20 large 2000)
12.Would you liketo configure this domain now p(y/n)[y] y
1.pub/sub server :no
5.jolt relay :no
13.connect password :people
15.WSL PORT :7000
16.JSL PORT :9000
37) Installation of Peoplesoft internet architecture on sun solaris 9 ?
1.The install will not proceed with an incorrect version of the webserver service pack.
2.Make sure the correct service pack version 2 for weblogic server is properly installed prior to running this PIA install.
3.cd /ps/pt843/setup/mpinternet directory
$java –cp setup for run –console or setup.solaris
4.Welcome to the install shield wizard for PIA. The install shield wizard will install PIA on your computer to continue click next.&press enter to continue.
5.At the prompt
1.BEA weblogic server
2.IBM websphere application server
6.at the prompt select the web server root directory /WSapp/bea.
7.Enter the directory where weblogic is installed.
8.At the prompt select the webserver version.
10.Have you shut down your web server [no]?yes
11. Appserver name type in the ip address or hostname of your application server press enter.
13.t the next prompt configuration properties ps server= 18.104.22.168
jolt listener port JSL PORT  same as application server.
14.type in the HTTP port number of your webwerver.then press enter. HTTP port.
15.select the report registry location /webapp/psreport.
You must have create permission to the directory in which you create the psreport directory.
38) Testing the PIA installation
$start PIA .cmd to access the poeplesoft sign on.
TO CHANGE NAME :
1.go to ps_home/mpinternet/setup.
2.start the weblogic console.
39) Walkthrough the process of how a request from the client get processed and return to the client from a data perspective?
1. Link interpret as URL address by web browser which includes the name of servlet on the web server.
2. Servlet running in the servlet engine interpret request and come up with a list of objects that are required to build the page.
3. Request for all requested object sent to application server in the form of a jolt message.
4. Tuxedo receive the jolt messages and convert it into a service request and send it to the appropriate PeopleSoft server process.
5. Peoplesoft process converts service request into SQL statement.
6. SQL statement’s sent to database.
7. Data requested is supplied by the database.
8. Peoplesoft process constructs HTML page out of object data.
9. Tuxedo acknowledge receipt of data and close connection with the PeopleSoft processes.
10. Data forwarded by tuxedo to request java select.
11. Select forwards page requests by browser.
12. When all object are in place,HTML page forwarded to the webservers.
13. Browser views page
PIA: PS internet architecture is a combination of two servers i.e web server, application server that can be installed on a single server as separate system PIA is really an architecture without a client. No executable on client, it is more server centric.
PSDSTSRV:This is the distribution agent this program is responsible for copying completed process files from the process scheduler server to the report repository on the web server.
40) How to configure process scheduler settings?
2.Select 4 from the PeopleSoft process schedular adminin’s menu
3.Press enter name of database that server will access.
41) How to create report node?
42) What are the Application server processes?
TUXEDO Process: a)BBL b)WSL c)WSH
BBL: Bulletin Board Liason, Bulletin Board Liason is the main Tuxedo engine unless the BBL is loaded nothing on the Application Server will work. It also direct all communication traffic sending data request to the appropriate to process.
WSL: WorkStation Listener. The WorkStation Listener process monitors the network for connection requests sent from windows clients. Once a connection is established, the WSL hands the client to a WSH process to handle the ongoing communication.
WSH: The workstation handle maintains a persistent connection to the windows client until request for data have been satisfied.
JOLT Process: a) JSL b) JSH
JSL: JOLT Station Listener–>The Jolt Station Listener process monitors the network for connection requests sent from Java clients (typically processes running on web servers). Once a connection is established. The JSL hands the client to a JSH Process to handle the ongoing communication.
JSH: JOLT Station Handler. The Jolt Station Handler maintains a persistent connection to the Java client until requests for data have been satisfied. The BBL tells the JSH which People Soft process is appropriate one to use.
PeopleSoft processes are designated to communicate with the database at the direction of the WSH. PeopleSoft processes query the database for data and object using SQL.
Different processes and their uses:
a) PSAPPSRV : Peoplesoft application server process builds and saves html pages, runs People Code, processes messages, and handles most client SQL requests. PSAPPSRV also performs user authorization duties when clients initially log in.
b) PSSAMSRV: Processes conversational SQL transactions, primarily for the application Designer development tool.
c) PSQRYSRV: Specialized process that handles all SQL generated from the People Soft Query tool. When this server does not need to be started for the domain to run, not having PSQRYSRV configured can lead to poor performance.
d) PSQCKSRV: Specialized process that handles all shorter, read-only client SQL requests. This server is not currently used by the PIA client, and does not need to be started for the domain to run.
e) PSOPTENG: poeplesoft optimization engine. For optimization – based application functions, such as Consultant Scheduling, Supply Chain Planning, etc.
f) PSPUBDSP/PSPUBHND: The Publication Dispatcher (DSP) and Handler (HND) are responsible for publications-outbound messages from the Integration Broker environment – formatting the information and routing it to proper external systems.
g) PSSUBDSP/PSSUBHND: The Subscription Dispatcher (DSP) and Handler (HND) are responsible for processing subscriptions- in bound messages from external systems-bound to this system.
h) PSDBGSRV: Supports People Soft PEOPLECODE debugging sessions.
i) PSBRLDSP/PSBRKHND: These are the servers that manage Integration Broker queues, the dispatcher (DSP) picking up requests passing them to the handler (HND) which determines the type redirects the request to the proper queue for further processing.
43) What are the process schedular processes?
A process scheduler domain included either two as three processes, depending on how it is configure.
BBL: The tuxedo bulletin board liasion is required for all domains whether they are for application server process or process scheduler server.
PSPRCSRV: This is the executable that we launch to start the process schedular server.it is the same program we have been starting with PSADMIN. the differnence now is that we will have tuxedo launch and then monitor the program for us.
PSDSTSRV: This is the distribution agent, this program is responsible for copying complete prcess files from the process schedular server to the report the repository on the webserver.
44) How can we connect to PS database in 2 tier mode?
45) What is database tables ?
1.system catalog tables: is like contents of books or FAT on a hard disk.
The system catalog tables keeps tracks of all the objects resides in the database instance.
System catalog tables means meta data that means data about data.
Examples: syscolumns, systables
2.people tool tables: the people tools tables holds metadata about the PeopleSoft application database.contains the structure that application use to define objects. The structure of the tables is the same for all application.
PSMENUDEFN,PSRECDEFN, PSPNLDEFN contain column that used to define the navigation for an application(menu name, menu label , group it belong, version number)
The PT tables define the structure of all objects that make up the applications. The contents of the tables are filled in by the specific application installed. The naming convention used for PT is PS* PSRECDEFN,PSMENUDEFN,PSPNLDEFN.
3.Application data tables: Application data tables contains data entered for use by the orgaization. During implementation they are empty. the naming convention used or application data table in PS_*.
46) What is a Datamover tool, what is it used for?
Datamover is used to run DDL(create,alter,drop,grant), DML(insert,update,delete,commit,rollback)
There is no select statement
STANDARD: Set input/output/log/start/import/export/replace –all/replace-view/encrypt-password/rename.
1. datamover is use to perform large data load.
2. runs data conversion scripts.
3. data mover is good for creating views.
4. its has bulk load capacity.
47) APPLICATION DESIGNER?
Application designer is an online tool. Used to manipulate Peoplesoft defined objects with in a particular database. It is also used to import project from a file or form another database. General and process SQL scripts based on contents of a project.
To perform the compare and copy phase where the target and source database are compared and object moved from the source to the target. You can define following objects: Fields, records, page, component, menu, Style sheet, SQL, image, HTML, project, Application engine, business process, component interface.
48) What are the steps for building an application?
1. define an application.
2. create field definition.
3 create record definition using the field.
4. create SQL tables
5. create page.
6. create component.
7. create menu.
8. create permission list.
9 create role
10. Authorize operator to access role.
49) Walk through process of migration objects from one environment to another with consideration for recover ability of environment should the migration fail?
We use AD to perform the compare and copy phase where the target and source database are compared and objects moved from the source to the target.
Application designer upgrade tools compares the source and target objects for example when comparing two field definition the system will look to see if the (field type,length,names e.t.c) matches if yes no action
If no, both version are placed in your comparison project and the appropriate default action is set. Then object starts (audit flags)
Unknown: The object has not been compared this is the default status for all objects inserted manually in to a project and he permanent starts of all non comparison object.
Absent: the object absent in any one of the database.
Changed: PeopleSoft modified the object since the comparison releases.
Unchanged: PeopleSoft last modified the object previous to comparison release.
*Changed: You modified the object since the comparison release
*Unchanged: you modified the object prior to the comparison release.
Same: Same in both database.
PSSTATUS: Tools release info.
PSRELEASE: App release info.
PSLOCK: object version.
COPY: object will be copied the target database.
DELETE: object will be deleted from the target database.
COPY PROP: Migration update is used to find out PT objects not matching in PS Object (same like sysaudit)
1. launch on the B database.
2. create a new project in the AD by selecting file > New> Project.
3. select your report option Tools upgrade options.
4. you will be prompted with PeopleSoft sign on for the target enter you I database.
5. decide which audit flags and DDL you wish to use.
6. compare application ,compare type-database/project.
7. target orientation : PeopleSoft vanilla, keep customization.
8. compare language 9.compare 10. report output 11.people code report 12.report filter 13.copy.
14. to see your project file save project running compare reports.
Select Tools > upgrade > compare and report.
15. select the object you want to compare by default it .
menu name , menubar name ,item name , languages, source, target, upgrade.
50) How to update people tools database objects?
Launch AD . Choose Tools > copy project > From file ©.
51) How to delete people tools database object?
Launch AD. Tools > copy project > from file.
52) Altering people tools tables or build a process?
1. launch people tools and singn on the installed database.
53) Why build from oracle /created so that definition will be stored in system catalog table?
Write alter command to scripts,drop column. Drop column if data present skip record.
Alter any (add, change, rename, delete).
Alter even no change.
Table creation option : recreate table if already exist ,skip table if already exist .
View creation option: recreate view if build already exist, skip table if already exist.
Index create: run, skip.
Running version application engine program
Psae – CD<dbname> -CT oracle –CD <oprid> -cp <pswd> -R INSTALL –all versions.
54) Knowledge of big transaction table in PS-FIN suits ?
55) How to troubleshoot a SQR PROGRAM using DISPLAY?
Show command -Debug x option is also there
How to run SQR :
PS_HOME\bin\SQR\Ora\SQEWZIFC – \PSoft\EP\SQR\PSSQR.IN–I ic :\psoft\epse\
-c: same command keep.
-I: specify the directory will search for include file.
-f: report output will be sent.
-zif: SQR INITIALIZATION File
-keep : keeps the SQR files.
56) PS security ?
1. definition security – AD /Trace/Query
2. maintain security
3. portal security
57) Difference between 7.5 x vs 8.x security?
In 7.5 menu can be linked to oprid and class of operator.
In 8 menu is linked to permission list and permission list is linked to role to user.
58) General debugging of online processes?
In application u can run it is in command prompt also by enabling trace on –debug application is also there. (–debug=0 )
59) WEB SERVER ISSUE LOG
59) APPLICATION SERVER ISSUES?
60) How to find out net status
60) Application server starting problem when you semaphore are not proper?
61) What is the difference in websphere and weblogic?
62) What are the upgradation steps?
63) What is an update?
WHAT OCCUR DURING PEOPLE TOOLS UPGRADE?
64) How to change the password for the accessed log in bootstap mode?
65) How to reset operator id?
Update PSOPRDEFN set encrypted=0 oprpswd=define , accesspswd =’ ‘ where oprid =’THNGUYEN’
66) What occur during Application upgrade?
1. all steps in the PT upgrade are performed for application upgrade.
2. Addition steps are.
67) How did you do web server clustering ?
68) What are the criteria for performance?
1. ram available
2. disk space and performance.
3. processor speed.
4. network bandwidth.
5. used load
6. user behavior(how hard do they push the application)
7. total data load (the total size of the database growth)
69) Different types of files?
70) BATCH SERVER?
Matched very closely to the database server is the BATCH SERVER. the batch server holds a number of pre- programmed processes and tools that allow it to perform common functions against a database without the need for user intervention.
At a minimum, it requires a connection on the same segment of a fast LAN. For fastest performance, the batch server can be installed on the same host machine that holds the database(s) it will connect to.
You may hear the terms batch server, batch environment, and process scheduler used interchangeably. This is not quite correct, but they are all very similar. We will cover the differences in these terms later.
BATCH SERVER COMPONENTS:
The component that make up a batch server will vary somewhat, depending on the jobs you need it to perform.
OS: the batch server will run under windows or UNIX.
DATABASE CONNECTIVITY: the batch server accesses PeopleSoft database directly. It will require database client connectivity software to do this job.
71) What are the different type of users in PS?
73) How do you implement patches? And what is the lifecycle of the patches?
74) What are the different modules of PeopleSoft which you are currently working?
75) What is DMS?
76) What is hardware configuration of your ?
77) What are the PSDBA responsibilities?
Installation of peoplesoft, upgrades, administration, Applying tools& Application patches,fixes &service packs, refreshes of database ,supports PS migrations,Oracle installation& upgrades, Creating and troubleshooting of process scheduler, clearing of cache,tax upgrades, backup & restore of database.