Why in the world would you need a customized LinkedIn profile? The answer is simple – simplicity and ease of use!
The default LinkedIn profile, which would be something like https://www.linkedin.com/profile?viewProfile=&key=1127 is harder to remember. If you have a profile which is much easier to remember like https://www.linkedin.com/in/mickeymouse – it is easier for others to remember.
You can customize your LinkedIn public profile URL when you edit your public profile. Custom public profile URLs are available on a first come, first served basis, so if you have a common name and don’t have a simple profile available – you’re out of luck and you will have to do a bit of tinkering on which profile to choose. I usually recommend using your full name or public name and if not available – use your name along with your skills. Just note that the URL can only have 5-30 letters or numbers.
How to Customize your LinkedIn Profile URL
- Move your cursor over Profile at the top of your homepage and select Edit Profile.
- Click Edit next to the URL under your profile photo.
- In the Your public profile URL box in the bottom right, click “Customize your public profile URL”.
- Type the last part of your new custom URL in the text box.
- Click Set Custom URL.
Note: Your custom URL must contain between 5 – 30 letters or numbers.Spaces, symbols, or special characters are not allowed.
Not all URLs are available. If a member uses a URL and then changes it, the URL they first chose will be unavailable for use by another member for several months. This gives the person a chance to reclaim it in case they change their mind. If the URL you want isn’t available, you’ll have to get creative and select a different one.
How to Promote your LinkedIn Public Profile
Your LinkedIn public profile is a streamlined version of your profile that shows up in search engine results, and is visible to people who aren’t signed in to LinkedIn.
Some options for promoting your public profile include:
- Creating a personal URL as mentioned above.
- Adding a LinkedIn View My Profile button to your online resume, blog, or website
- Creating an email signature that contains your LinkedIn public profile URL