In PeopleTools release 8.51 and higher, by default, only one domain can be active in the Integration Broker system as no more than one active PUBSUB domain is recommended. Those already in on PeopleTools 8.51 or higher would have seen it and those who’re moving to the latest version of PeopleTools are likely to see this error, especially when moving from PeopleTools 8.50 or lower to the latest release of PeopleTools.
The error you receive when you try to activate more than one domain is “Cannot activate more than one master domain (158,2836).” The error is obvious – why would anyone need have more than one master domain active, after all there can be only one master, right! However, interestingly, PeopleSoft till provides an option to override it. Lets have a look at the rationale behind this change.
PeopleSoft recommends not to activate more than one PUBSUB server. This has been done to because setting up the system this way represents an invalid configuration that can cause severe performance degradation and messaging problems.
A message queue should be actively served by only ONE of each type of dispatcher, i.e. broker, publication, subscription. By design, a given dispatchers populates their in-memory queues with SQL that assumed that it is the only active dispatcher of that type that is gathering work from a given message channel.
In case of multiple active domains, there are instances of performance degradation due by the competing locks when multiple dispatchers are attempting to retrieve work from a given channel is so significant that the overall PUBSUB throughput typically goes down noticeably.
- In the process of getting work, the broker dispatchers (PSBRKDSP) will place critical locks on PSPUBLOCK, PSAPMSGPUBHDR.
- In the process of getting work, the publication dispatchers (PSPUBDSP), will place critical locks on PSPUBCLOCK, PSAPMSGPUBCON.
- In the process of getting work, the subscription dispatchers (PSSUBDSP), will place critical locks on PSSUBCLOCK, PSAPMSGSUBCON.
Hence, this change has been done to allow only one PUBSUB domain should be active for a given database. For redundancy, PeopleTools has provided Integration Broker Failover Groups. For Scalability, PeopleTools has provided Master/Slave PUBSUB domains and dedicated handlers. Additionally, within a PUBSUB domain you can increase the number of handler instances.
Interestingly PeopleSoft still gives an option to override this and it may probably go away in the near future.
To allow multiple active domains, use the Monitor Setup Options page in the Service Operations Monitor.
- Navigate to: Peopletools>Integration Broker>Service Operation Monitor>Administration>Monitor Setup Options
- Select the ‘Allow Multiple Active Domains ‘ flag and save.
- Navigate to: Peopletools>Integration Broker>Service Operation Monitor>Administration>Domain Status.
- Activate multiple domains.